Prepping a floor

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Prepping a floor
From: "Eric Petrevich" <eric@megageek.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:08:27 -0400
OK, The new shop is ready for the floor to be poured.  I need some advice
from you guys.

The building is 60 X 50.  I'm pouring a flat slab inside.  I'm doing it in
2 pours.  I hired an ace mason to do the floor (This isn't a place I have
lots of experience so I don't want to do it wrong).  Now, I am doing all
the prep work however.  Here is the plan.  The floor will be radiant floor
as well.  The shop will be used for wood/metal and automotive work (read
<heavy duty>).  I'm planning a 6" slab.

Right now, the floor is a pretty well compressed (not tamped yet however)
QP bed.  It's about 4" lower than that bottom of the slab (I marked a
bunch of spots with a transit.)
I know I need to bring in more stone and a tamper, my questions are as
follows...

1-what is the recommended insulation type for under a radiant system?  I
was going to use "blueboard", but I heard of a new "rolled" type of
insulation that is supposed to be the cat's meow.  Any ideas?

2-What type of rebar should I use for this?

3-should I bury some PVC conduit for electrical outlets in the middle of
the floor later?  Will that weaken the slab?

4-How much compression can I expect from the tamper? (so I know how much
stone I need)

5-I also plan to insulate the edge of the slab.  Many people have told me
that they lose heat from the edges (the snow melts around their buildings
out to 5' or 6'.  Any pitfalls in doing this?  (Here I was planing on Blue
board)

6-How far out should I make the apron?  What is the general thinking when
planning the Apron?

7-Did I miss anything?

Thanks a ton!

Inch