Re: Prepping a floor

To: Eric Petrevich <eric@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: Prepping a floor
From: Martin Scarr <martins@efn.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:18:36 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Eric Petrevich wrote:

> 2-What type of rebar should I use for this?

I hate slabs that crack.  I put 1/2 inch rebar in my shop slab, 2 foot on
centers, in each direction.  Got some hairline cracks, but that's all.

> 3-should I bury some PVC conduit for electrical outlets in the middle of
> the floor later?  Will that weaken the slab?

I would just drop down from the ceiling.  But if you do put it in the
slab, it won't weaken it.

> 4-How much compression can I expect from the tamper? (so I know how much
> stone I need)

It's going to depend on what your local rock is like, how much of it is
"fines".  A good question for your slab finisher.

> 7-Did I miss anything?

I wish I had put a few of those "chain pots" for hold downs in the area I
do autobody repair.  They're about $20 each, get them from Autobody Tool
Mart (do a search for them).  I'm going to add some, but I have to dig up
and repour a patch for each one.

regards
Martin Scarr