RE: appliance repair

To: "Steve Budde" <super_racenut@juno.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: appliance repair
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:52:37 -0400
Steve Budde [mailto:super_racenut@juno.com] wrote:
> my fridge can barley keep the temp at 40.  It runs but not
> cold, freezer doesn't do diddly.  Any ideas??

Check the simple things first.  Most refrigerators now days
have the "cooling coils" underneath.  The air is sucked in
from the front and blows past the coils and out the back or
the side.  It's very tight under there, and can get plugged
up easily.  You need to clean the coils of any dirt, lint,
dust, pet hair, etc. that tends to be attracted to the coils
and build up.

Every couple of years (should do it yearly), I have to pull
out our refrigerator and pull the air hose and wet/dry vac
in from the garage.  Vacuum off what "junk" I can (it never
gets much) and then blow the rest of the junk out of the
coils with the air hose - it makes a huge mess.  My wife then
makes me clean up all the junk that blew /settled all over
the kitchen with the wet/dry.  Refrigerator runs a lot less
and works much better after that.

Tim Mullen