Re: Prepping a floor

To: Eric Petrevich <eric@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: Prepping a floor
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:22:44 -0700
Disclaimer: my entire lot is only marginally bigger than your shop will be.
This
is not the voice of experience as much as it is of desire...

> 3-should I bury some PVC conduit for electrical outlets in the middle of
> the floor later?  Will that weaken the slab?

This is a great idea but isn't all that critical, as you can hang power down
from
above anywhere you might want it.

> 7-Did I miss anything?

Consider anything you would want in the slab.
People on this list have talked about anchor points for a comealong or
equivalent.
You might want some heating pipe free areas on the slab (well marked!) for
attaching stationary equipment in the future.  Also consider if you might want
subdivide the space up some day and would want to attach walls to the slab.  On
that thought: perhaps you should consider having multiple heat manifold zones,
so
you can selectively heat different areas of the slab now or some day.
Would a floor drain or ten be useful some day for cleaning, future sink needs,
etc.?  Now is the time.  You can always run electricals, vacuum, air, and even
water down from above, but a drain would mean chopping into your beautiful new
slab.
Bathroom rough in?
Kitchen rough in?
Safety shower?