Re: Prepping a floor

To: Eric Petrevich <eric@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: Prepping a floor
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:14:42 -0400
Eric:

I'll give you the example of my unfortunate experience.  My goal was an absolute
flat floor.  I had no heating considerations (lack of foresight!).  I
encountered
a significant problem with preparation of the base.  I tamped before bringing in
stone, after the stone, and in spite of all that, my slab dropped about 4 inches
toward the back of the garage.  It took about a year to settle, but it did.

One thing I noticed that helped to settle the tamping was when I poured lots of
water into the base material.  It seemed to help fill the underground voids.  I
just didn't' do enough of this, and it was only effective when I used lots of
water.  The garden hose wouldn't flood it enough; I happened to use the water
from my swimming pool startup/backwash.  That's lots of gallons fast.  An
equivalent, I think, would be heavy thunderstorms or a soaking rain.  Or, really
large compacting equipment.  The vibrating walk behind just didn't do it.