Re: 2 post lift for both storage and repair?

To: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: 2 post lift for both storage and repair?
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 16:11:23 -0800
At 04:39 PM 12/4/2001 -0700, Ed Van Scoy wrote:
>What is the ceiling height of your garage?

  BINGO !  that is the big factor in deciding if you can even have a
lift.  In my case (don't laugh now) I had a 9ft ceiling and if I folded
down the windshield on both my cars I could store one on top of the other
with about 6inches to spare but I could only get a little less than 5ft. up
and it was extremely very uncomfortable to work on the car bent over like
that...very nice to sit back in a chair and work though :).

   I finally removed 4 joists and can now lift a normal car to a
comfortable working height with just some thought about positioning it so
the roof of the car moves up to the peak of the garage and I have to watch
the hood of the car on the slope of the garage roof.  I can get my wife's
Honda up too high to work on and my GMC pickup is really tight but its ok,
I have to bend/stoop a little.  The lift is primarily used on my British
toys and with the top down and windshield folded down I can get them high
enough that I have to stretch to reach the bottom of the car so it works
really nice for me.

   I think you are supposed to have 12ft. for a lift and I have 13 to the
peak of the roof but it comes down quick from there.  What can I say, I
have 3 British roadsters and a Motorcycle (non-brit) in a 2 car garage
along with a workbench, table saw, band saw, air compressor, glass beading
cabinet, mig and all the other tools needed to keep a old Brit toy on the
road, I had to do something to get those toys in the garage.

http://www.singercars.com/restoration/images/finished.jpg  you can see how
tight it was until after I removed the ceiling over the lift ( if  you care
to see ).

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/