Re: 2 post lift for both storage and repair?

To: "Spector, Larry" <Larry_Spector@NAI.com>,
Subject: Re: 2 post lift for both storage and repair?
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:05:08 -0800
>doing suspension work. Can I use a 2 post lift for storage? They seem to be
>cheaper and provide better under car access. What will I be giving up?

   If storage is your primary use then EASE is what you will be giving up,
that is all.  On a 2 post lift you have to position the arms under the car
every time you want to lift the car, if this is a car you drive often it
gets to be a pain.  I have a 4-post and I just drive onto it and lift so
easily that I find it more of a pain to move the car underneath so I can
the drive the one on top, its that quick and easy.  Also a 2-post has to be
securely bolted to the ground so you lose the option of easily moving it as
you acquire more toys for the garage or re-design your shop space.  If you
spend some time thinking up front about where this lift will be, then that
may not be a issue.  I did have to move my lift outside one time last
summer to work on a friends 4-wheel drive that was too tall to be lifted in
the garage, is that a plus or a minus I am not sure, can't do that with a
2-post.

    As far as working on the car you are right, a 2-post is ideal for
suspension work but I don't do suspension work often enough to really be
concerned about it and I have jack trays that slide on the ramps, I can put
my jacks on them and get all 4 wheels off but it is a pain to do that and
then the ramps gets in the way of total access...but that level of
suspension work is done how often ? for me it so rare that I can live with it.

    What sold me on the 4-post was the ability to move it around as I need
to and the ease of driving on and off without have to postition something
before lifting.  Also some fear factor as I look at 2-posts and go "how the
hell does that car not fall off, that front end is pretty heavy (could be
back end)", but yes I know they are safe and I am paranoid.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/