RE: CB Radios.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: CB Radios.
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 14:17:43 -0500
"Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM> wrote:

> Don't know about where you drive, but I've driven through lots of places
> that don't have cell phone coverage.  In fact, I'm sitting in one right now,
> less than 30 miles from downtown Los Angeles.

Heck, when we got our daughter a cell phone it worked everywhere except
at home.  We live in the "low" spot in the neighborhood, and the rise in the
land going up the block appears to be enough to block the cell towers.  Dead
spot for 100 yards to the south, and 1/4 mile to the west, and we never
measured to the north or east (can't easily get there) - but good everywhere
else.

Besides, CBs are also good to talk (or at least listen in on) the truckers.
Among
other things, you get to know where the radar traps are before you get there...
And ask for directions...
And road conditions,,,
And sometime just entertainment...

By the way, from other lists where people in car clubs communicate via CB, the
hand held "walkie-talkies" are not worth the bother - especially in the
environment
of a car...

And remember - "Don't drive and talk on a cell phone!!"  8-)

Tim Mullen - who doesn't have an installed CB in any car right now...

///