Re: CB Radios.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <bn1@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: CB Radios.
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 10:37:38 -0500
<bn1@pacbell.net> wrote:

> The restoration of my '53 Austin-Healey will soon be finished and
> it'll be time to go touring again.  I plan on putting a CB in it but
> haven't bought one since the "Convoy" days of the '70's.
>
> Has anyone kept up with the technology?  Any experience or
> opinions as to brands or models?

Although I haven't kept up on the technology...

One brand/model that usually gets recommended on the Miata list,
the remote mount Cobra 75 WXST (with weather channels) - price
ranges from around $90 to $160 depending on where you shop on
line.

The CM is a small box mounted remotely (like in the trunk) and a
plug in hand unit.  All the controls, displays, microphone, and
speaker are in the hand unit.  You can also buy additional remote
boxes for around $30 and move the hand unit from car to car...

Three on line sources (in order of increasing price) are:

http://www.electronicsoutpost.com/75wxst.htm

http://thomas-distributing.com/cob75wxst.htm

http://www.thevideodoctor.com/shopsite-store/C75-WXST.html

I still have my 21 channel CB from the "pre-convoy" days (sitting
in a box in the garage along with an 8-track).  One of these days
I going to get one of these remote mount units to install in my truck
for long trips...

Tim Mullen - I even still remember my "CB license" call sign: KDB-1735

///