Re: CB Radios.

To: <LBC286@aol.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CB Radios.
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 10:46:23 -0500
<LBC286@aol.com> wrote:

>> By the way, from other lists where people in car clubs communicate
>> via CB, the hand held "walkie-talkies" are not worth the bother -
>> especially in the environment of a car...
>
> I mentioned walkie-talkies because they don't require installation,
> and because the original poster mentioned a tour in an Austin Healey.
> To me, a tour in a Healey means hood-down, so a walkie-talkie
> would be fine.  In a closed car, you are right, they don't work.  <...>

I would think that you are right, but the list that I've heard not to use
walkie-talkies was the Miata list.  Also hood (top) down, and they have
said that in convoys of 20 cars, the guys in the front and back can't
hear the guys with the walkie-talkies in the middle (nor can the
walkie-talkie users hear the others) - although the regular CBs
can talk much farther than just the range of the convoy...

I don't know.  I've never used walkie-talkies in cars - maybe it has to
do with the electrical interference in cars???.  I any case, I haven't
had a CB mounted in years (but I do want to get one of the remote
mount ones for the truck)...

When I used a CB on a cross country trip in the Elan many years
ago, I just had it laying on the center backbone tunnel with a 18 inch
tall testing antenna screwed directly into the back of the CB.  Didn't
even need a magnetic mount - which wouldn't have worked on the
Elan's fiberglass body anyways...

Tim Mullen

///