Re: compressor fittings

To: sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Subject: Re: compressor fittings
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 18:15:20 -0400 (EDT)
Hi, Scott.

I'm guessing the "groove" in the pipe was swaged; you might want to
try this.  Get a wheel from a tubing/pipe cutter and grind the
circumference of it to look like the groove should look by converting
the sharp edge to a rounded edge.  Then maybe even more rounded to
suit the O-ring.  Try to keep the wheel round, of course.  Then use
this in the tubing/pipe cutter as a swaging tool to make the groove.

HTH; I sure wouldn't want to hear that he ended up in your shop.
Donald.

> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 15:45:25 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
>

> I'm helping my brother-in-law do to his compressor the same think I did to
> mine--remove the tank-to-pump line and replace it with a radiator.  on his
> though, the fitting holding the line to the pump is this freaky
> compression-esque thing.  instead of a copper compression ring there's a
> rubber o-ring.  the o-ring fits into a depression on the pump-line and
> the fitting screws into the pump, pressing the o-ring into the pump to
> seal.  anyhow, we can't re-create the ring for the o-ring in the new
> line--it's  like the depression a compression fitting makes, but smaller
> and more hemispherical (almost perfectly so, in fact) in cross-section.
> he saved the old fitting and o-ring (which is good because I haven't seen
> a fitting like it anywhere), but tossed the line (after mangling it
> removing the pump cover, which is his style).
>
> so, anybody got a tip on how to re-create the ring in the line?

///