Re: compressor fittings

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: compressor fittings
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 15:51:12 -0700
Scott Hall wrote:

- snip -
> so, anybody got a tip on how to re-create the ring in the line?
> I'm hoping somebody says, "yeah, I've got a tool for that, let me
> ship it to you..."  squeezing a compression fitting on there then cutting
- snip -

Scott,

I have never seen a fitting like what you have
described, I am surprised that a rubber o-ring could
survive the temperature.

Is the female fitting on the head threaded into the
head?  Could it be removed and replaced with a normal
1/2" female compression fitting?

If not, could you drill it and tap it out for a
compression fitting?

Failing this, I would be tempted to braze a standard
1/2" female fitting to the existing fitting if it
cannot be removed (assuming it is bronze, brass, cast
iron, etc.).

If it is aluminum, it gets more complex, but still
might be "doable."

I did a quick search on "dental air compressors" and
came up with a few urls -- maybe something here could
help:

http://www.medousa.com/products.htm
http://home.flash.net/~grvalley/
http://www.dental-resources.com/office2.html
http://www.comm-air.com/dental.htm

The search came up with several dozen hits.

Don't you hate it, though, when this happens? I have
done very similar things trying to help somebody, then
realized 1/2 through that it has become a much bigger
job than I expected, or wanted, but once you drill the
hole in the bottom of the boat, you don't have much
choice but to fix it or keep on bailing.  ;)

I hope it works out, Scott. Good luck!

doug

///