compressor fittings

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: compressor fittings
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 15:45:25 -0400 (EDT)
I'm helping my brother-in-law do to his compressor the same think I did to
mine--remove the tank-to-pump line and replace it with a radiator.  on his
though, the fitting holding the line to the pump is this freaky
compression-esque thing.  instead of a copper compression ring there's a
rubber o-ring.  the o-ring fits into a depression on the pump-line and
the fitting screws into the pump, pressing the o-ring into the pump to
seal.  anyhow, we can't re-create the ring for the o-ring in the new
line--it's  like the depression a compression fitting makes, but smaller
and more hemispherical (almost perfectly so, in fact) in cross-section.
he saved the old fitting and o-ring (which is good because I haven't seen
a fitting like it anywhere), but tossed the line (after mangling it
removing the pump cover, which is his style).

so, anybody got a tip on how to re-create the ring in the line?
I'm hoping somebody says, "yeah, I've got a tool for that, let me
ship it to you..."  squeezing a compression fitting on there then cutting
off the ring and trying the o-ring didn't work.  I suspect in the end that
it might be impossible to do this and we might have to find a different
way to seal it.  so...does this sound familiar to anybody?  I'm out of
ideas.  the regular compression fitting didn't seem to seal and he doesn't
want to crank down too hard for fear of ruining the pump, which was my
thought (it's just copper, it'll bend).

doug shook, how'd you do yours?  dave w.?  I cut the o.e. line and used
regular compression fittings to connect on mine, but that isn't an option
here.

I looked on the compressor and can't find a name for the
manufacturer--it's a _six_ cylinder pump originally used in a dentist's
office and until now I coveted that thing with a vengence.  fairly small
tank, maybe 20 gallons.

somebody hook me up here, or I'll have him at my house for projects--this
man is known for his ability to break *anything* and I'm not sure I want
him in my garage.

scott

///