Re: confusion sets in

To: Eric J Petrevich/LRM <inch@megageek.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: confusion sets in
From: Dave Miles <davemiles2sonaz@uswest.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:46:12 -0700
My two cents, for what its worth.

I don't like the Metrinch tools.  Why?  I can't put a finger
on it, they just don't seem to work right for me.  They seem
to be well made, well thought out, but they just didn't
fit.  I gave them to my stepson as a starter kit.  This set
had 1/4 and 3/8 socket sets and about a dozen wrenches.
Cost me $129.  so they were not inexpensive.

Second, the idea of cheap tools seems to be relative.  As
you follow the thread, you realize everyone has their own
idea of what is a cheap tool.  I personally still like
Craftsman, although I prefer SK or Snap-On when I can find
them.  I buy most of my tools used at the Swap Meet; if I
had to depend on SK or Snap-On distribution systems I
wouldn't have any of their tools.

For me the issue is not the expense, nor even the warranty.
It just seems to me that with the three "name" brands, the
work is just a little easier.  One thing I learned in the
Marines, the better your weapon(tool), the better(and
easier) your performance.  Now I am not a professional
mechanic, but I still want to do the best I can.

Finally, I wipe my tools clean, but am not a fanatic about
it.  The issue of keeping a coat of oil to protect from
moisture is not one I have ever needed to deal with.  I live
in the desert now, but have lived in KS, NC, GA, CA with
varying moisture/humidity problems, and have never had a
rust problem with a name brand tool.  Now some of those
Popular Mechanics stuff from WalMart...

HTH,

Dave Miles
Tucson, AZ