Re: confusion sets in

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <inch@megageek.com>,
Subject: Re: confusion sets in
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:13:23 -0800
>>> Dave Miles <davemiles2sonaz@uswest.net> 11/28/1999 5:46:12 PM >>>
>
> I don't like the Metrinch tools.  Why?  I can't put a finger
> on it, they just don't seem to work right for me.  They seem
> to be well made, well thought out, but they just didn't fit.

They grip the sides of the hex head instead of the edges, like
some other high end tools.  The reality is that a lot of metric sizes
are close to other SAE sizes, so (at least in the larger sizes) you
can sometimes use metric/SAE interchangeably for many tasks.
Yes, I know you shouldn't do this, but I have on occasion when
I absolutely had too, and gotten away with it (I've also lost the bet
and rounded the bolt too...).

The Metrinch tools just takes advantage of the closeness and since
it grips the sides, they should work.  But like you, I just don't like them
(haven't bought any either) and prefer complete sets of both kinds.
They might make a good set of emergency tools to keep in the trunk
though...

> Second, the idea of cheap tools seems to be relative.  As
> you follow the thread, you realize everyone has their own
> idea of what is a cheap tool.  I personally still like
> Craftsman, although I prefer SK or Snap-On when I can find

I've never had any major problems with Craftsman tools.  I've broken
a couple over the last 30 years, but no major problem.  I've also (recently,
with a new set of sockets) had to use a 6 point *regular* 3/8 socket,
3/8-1/2 adapter, and my impact to loosen a bolt.  I had to use the
"wrong" tools because it was the only thing that would fit in the
area - the impact socket wouldn't fit.  I worked - nothing broke...  I'll
keep using Craftsman (I do prefer my thirty year old ones to my
newer ones - but not that much...) because they work fine.  I'd
prefer Snap-On, etc. but not for the difference in cost.  I buy the
others when I need to, usually because Craftsman does make
one (I find my 9/16 inch swivel 1/4 drive socket to be invaluable when
I need it...)

Tim Mullen