Re: Auto Transport Trailers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Auto Transport Trailers
From: Tim Mullen <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: 13 Apr 1999 06:43:11 -0700
>>> trovato@computer.net 4/12/1999 11:00:00 PM >>>

Regarding the single axle utility trailer, I guess I just want to do it
safe and legal.  I was under the impression that two axles with brakes on
both was necessary to meet these requirements.
<<<<<<<

For what it's worth, when I bought and then registered my single axle trailer
about 8 years ago, it was explained to me that 3000 lbs gross vehicle weight is
the magic cutoff.  If the trailer is rated at 3000 GVW or more, the DOT
requires brakes; 2999 GVW or less, no brakes are required.  I've used my 2900
GVW rated trailer to pull my Elan around the country when I've moved.  1000
pounds of trailer, and 1600 pounds of car fit nicely within the 2900 GVW  (and
the axle is rated for 3500 pounds anyway...)

But I'd still like brakes.  Anybody use the "new" electronic brake controls?
No actual connections to the brake system is required.  They must use
accelerometers or something.  I wonder how they work...

Tim Mullen

72 Elan Sprint
91 Jackson single axle flat bed utility trailer