Re: Workbench plans

To: shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Workbench plans
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:46:42 -0800

From: jniolon@uss.com [mailto:jniolon@uss.com]

     I noticed the other day in Home Depot that Simpson who makes the
     stong-tie construction plates, rafter ties etc...  they have a set of
     workbench plans using their plates, connectors etc that is very
     substantial...you can build to your specifications and use their
     joinery.  build in the shelving underneath that would hold your nice
     roller bearing slide cabinets.. I'm even invisioning a 3/16 formed
     removable steel top for the heavy/dirty stuff that would slide on or
     off as needed.

The Simpson connectors are very handy, but get pretty pricey if you use a lot
of them in your project.....  Of course, I didn't let that stop me... =;^)

I checked into having a steel top made for my bench.  I bought some 1/4"
channel to make a lip for the plywood top of my bench (used a router so
the lip would sit flush.  That way, I didn't have to worry about the edge
of the bench splintering.  I was going to have a stainless top made; a
simple thing with bends to cover the front and side edges, a backsplash
along the rear (bend the edge the other way), and maybe a dripless edge
put in too.  When I was quoted $300 from various places to do, I changed
my mind....  So I'm making do with a sheet of 1/8 hardboard (cheap to
replace), and some rubber topmats like you would see on a roller tool
cabinet.  I rules out plain steel since I figures it would rust, and the
galvanized I didn't think would hold up too well over time either, as it
got scratched and dented.  What sort of top were you considering?

Mike