Re: separating aluminum and steel parts

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: separating aluminum and steel parts
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:42:34 -0500
At 06:28 PM 1/6/1999 -0500, Jack W Drews wrote:

>I am working on the restoration of a 1930's vintage classic car. I am
>trying to remove the quite large aluminum heads, each secured to the
>block with 21 studs, 1/2" diameter. As you can imagine, electrolysis has
>had sixty years to do its thing with the studs and the aluminum head
>casting. The pistons are frozen in the bores so I can't use the rope
>tricks or compression tricks.
>
>After three days of attacking it with slender wedges of all
>descriptions, vibratory tools applied to the studs, and so-called
>"penetrating" oils which really don't, I humbly ask the list's
>collective wisdom: What are the current methods for separating
>aluminum/steel corroded joints?
>--
>uncle jack
>Happiness is a warm garage....

Hello Jack,

I don't envy you your particular problem however I have one suggestion
which may help you out.   I have not used this method myself, but have
been assured that it really works and in your case may be one of the only
options.

You make a spark plug "thingy" with a grease nipple in it.   You then find
a cylinder which has both valves closed.  Insert grease gun and pump the
cylinder full of grease.   This should build up tremendous pressure and
lift the head.  Of course as soon as it lifts a little bit the grease will
ooze
out of the tiniest cracks and will probably not move any further, but in
your case if it moves at all that may be all you need to get things started.

Regards  Nils
Yardley,  PA
59(100-6)  69E-Type  72/73MGB  52MGTD