separating aluminum and steel parts

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: separating aluminum and steel parts
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 18:28:44 -0500
I am working on the restoration of a 1930's vintage classic car. I am
trying to remove the quite large aluminum heads, each secured to the
block with 21 studs, 1/2" diameter. As you can imagine, electrolysis has
had sixty years to do its thing with the studs and the aluminum head
casting. The pistons are frozen in the bores so I can't use the rope
tricks or compression tricks.

After three days of attacking it with slender wedges of all
descriptions, vibratory tools applied to the studs, and so-called
"penetrating" oils which really don't, I humbly ask the list's
collective wisdom: What are the current methods for separating
aluminum/steel corroded joints?
--
uncle jack
Happiness is a warm garage....