Re: Heating a Garage

To: David Ligda <dligda@home.com>
Subject: Re: Heating a Garage
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 08:26:17 -0800
On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 07:41:18AM -0500, David Ligda wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Anyone have any advice on heating an attached two car garage?  I have used
> a small electric heater (the Lakewood milk barn model) and it doesn't even
> come close to providing enough heat.  Next I bought one of those forced air
> propane heaters which warmed the place up nicely but produced so many fumes
> that my eyes watered and you could hardly breathe in the place even with
> the windows open.

If your garage has poor insulation, consider fixing that first.

I have a 3-car (really 10 motorcycle and one lawn tractor) garage, with
a large attic.  The attic wasn't finished and wasn't insulated, and the
floor/ceiling between the garage space and attic isn't completely closed
(especially with the pull-down staircase down).   This last christmas
break I put up r19 and r13 insulation throughout the attic.  I haven't
quite finished all of the attic, and I also need to put insulation in
the walls of the garage where they didn't put up sheetrock (inside the
built-in cabinets and a few other places).  But already it's noticeably
warmer.

The insulation cost was about $350 and a few days of my time.
I could have done it in a day if I haden't had to move around the parts
that're stored in the attic.

--
Eric Murray          N*Able Technologies                    www.nabletech.com
(email:  ericm  at the sites lne.com or nabletech.com)     PGP keyid:E03F65E5