Re: cleaning plastic lenses

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: cleaning plastic lenses
From: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:51:44 -0500
It used the rear lights off of the Cortina, MkII (and is therefore now
made
of unobtanium).  I'm trying to re-furbish the units; they're actually in
pretty good shape but...  does anyone have any advice on cleaning up
plastic lenses?  Mine are a bit scratched and dull; is there a very mild
polish or very fine grit grinding agent that can be used on plastic?
Any
comments or advice on this idea would be greatly appreciated.

- snip -

Hi William,

The label is off the bottle so I cannot tell you what the brand name is,
but I use convertible top, plastic rear-window treatment for these types
of parts--it works quite well.  I think I bought it from Moss Motors, or
maybe even JC Whitney--I can't recollect.

Now that I think about it, Armor All, or the knock-offs, ought to work
well, too. WD40 will put the color back into them, but it doesn't last
very long.

doug