RE: Tool questions

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Tool questions
From: "Mordy Dunst" <mordyd@classic.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 97 01:31:23 UT

----------
From:   shop-talk-owner@autox.team.net on behalf of Art Pfenninger
Sent:   Wednesday, October 22, 1997 5:35 PM
To:     Steve N
Cc:     shop talk

        I agree 100% with what Keith said, if you have a choice stay away
from 12 point sockets. Also for most of the work you'll be doing on a car
a 3/8 ratchet is all you will want to use. There are time when you need a
1/2 inch but they are the exception. The 1/2 in is harder to get into
tight spots. I think your best bet would be to buy a set of Craftsman
when they go on sale. You can get the 1/4, 3/8 ,and 1/2 inch all in one of
their kits. Sooner or later you will need all the sizes. As far as the
impact sockets go I would get them at Harbor Freight. I bought a set of
standard 1/2 sockets for about  $6 dollars and have never had a problem
with one breaking.
...Art

 Tools:  I've considered this topic myself.--  I now know why Ladies like
Jewlery.

There is a certain sparkle and quality  when looking and using
a well engineered tool made to exacting specifications.
 I've always been taught that there is a structure-function to biological
things -well tools can be considered an extentsion of your hand....and if made
well will do the job easier and last a long time.   I've been collecting
tools for a while.  I started with Craftsman -when I was able to buy them
myself.  I bought a few snap-on along the way -but only the ones that I use
most often.  This compromise works.  Yet the feel of the better tool is
addicting.    Would I sell my first born for a complete Snap-on set.....
I'd have to think of it for awhile...