Re: Tool questions

To: sgn1@ra.msstate.edu, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tool questions
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:19:26 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-22 16:24:34 EDT, sgn1@ra.msstate.edu writes:

> 1.From what I have been told, 6 point wrenchs and sockets offer more
>  strength and have less chance to strip a bolt.  My question is, then why
>  would you want to buy 12 point?

There are more turning positions with a 12 point vs a 6 point. This can be a
real help in tight positions.  You don't have to rotate the wrenches and
sockets as much to get a new grip on the fastener.

>  2.Most big tool comapnies offer both sockets for impact tools and for
>  regular tools.   You want to have a different set for the impact wrench
>  because of the force put on them, right?  If so, why would you even
>  bother to buy a set of regular sockets?  Couldn't you just use the
>  impact socket set you bought for all applications?

The impact tools are not stronger than the regular sockets, in fact, the
opposite, as I understand it. They are made of a softer material than regular
sockets, so they don't shatter under the sudden impact loading of an impact
wrench. It's like putting a file and a piece of mild steel in a vise, and
hitting them both with a hammer. The file will break cleanly in two, while
the steel will bend.

>  3.If you had the money to buy good tools, what company would you buy
>  from?  I myself have been an SK fan, becasue whenever I was young and
>  helped my dad work on cars, I would always grab that green medal box,
>  and it has just kinda stuck with me ever since.  I know that there are
>  other good companies as well, Snap-on (considered by many to be the
>  best), Mac, etc..  Is there any reason that you would want to buy from
>  one comapny over another this high up on the ladder?  Are there any
>  shortcomings to any of these more expensive brands?

I buy Sears tools for pretty much the same reason, and for their lifetime,
unconditional warranty. I was told by a Sears salesman that their tools were
made by SK. I have no idea if that is true. It is extremely rare that I ever
break a Chraftsman tool, so I would assume from that, that they are good
enough for my usage. Snap-on may well be better, but they are certainly more
expensive, by a long shot.

I have never used Snap-on, but I have been told by mechanics that have, that
there is a "feel" about them that is hard to beat. I don't know how much that
is worth, but I must say I realy enjoy a good tool that has that "feel" to
it.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74