Re: Tool questions

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tool questions
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:39:06 -0600 (MDT)
If you talk to N different mechanics, then you stand a good chance of
getting N different opinions about tools.  So I'll offer mine as well.
In truth, my main 3/8 ratchet set is an SK that I got quite some time
ago, probably on the order of 20 years.  It has seen a bit of use, and
is in excellent condition.  I don't know about current SK quality, but
I bet it is quite good.

But anyone who wrenches more than once or twice a year owes it to
themselves to get some Snap-On tools.  Their OEX series, I think it is,
of combination wrenches are works of art.  If you work on British cars
think about getting the 1/2 and 9/16 combos, and maybe a 7/16s.  Just
don't feel too bad when you look at them laying next to whatever other
wrenches you have.  Another handy item to have is the Snap-On 3/8 drive
palm ratchet.  Quite handy for lots of things.

Get regular hand sockets for most work, and use the impact sockets
strictly for impact work.  Impact sockets are made of a tougher steel
that resists cracking under impact, but is not as strong as the alloys
used in hand sockets.  So impact sockets, unless you get some cheap ones,
are substantially heavier and thicker than the same size in a hand socket.
You'll tire less and have better luck fitting the sockets into tight places
if you use hand sockets for most of your work.  Actually, if you use a 3/8
butterfly impact a lot, you can use good quality hand sockets on this, though
I would suggest getting a few sizes of the Mac 3/8 drive swivel impact sockets.
Again, just a few in the most used sizes, like 1/2 and 9/16, or 8, 10, 12mm.

Without fail, whenever I have purchased a really cheap tool to do some quick job
I have regretted not springing for a quality item.  Life is to short to waste
being frustrated with poor tools.

mjb.