Re: Tool questions

To: Steve N <sgn1@ra.msstate.edu>
Subject: Re: Tool questions
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:07:14 -0500
Steve N wrote:

> Hey all, I am new and just wanted to ask some questions that I have
> wanted to know the answers to for a long time.
>
> 1.From what I have been told, 6 point wrenchs and sockets offer more
> strength and have less chance to strip a bolt.  My question is, then
> why
> would you want to buy 12 point?

good question... I have a bunch of 12 points, only because I bought them
without thinking about it and wish I had all 6 points.

> 2.Most big tool comapnies offer both sockets for impact tools and for
> regular tools.   You want to have a different set for the impact
> wrench
> because of the force put on them, right?  If so, why would you even
> bother to buy a set of regular sockets?  Couldn't you just use the
> impact socket set you bought for all applications?

Impact sockets have thicker walls and therefore won't fit in some tight
places. I use the other method and use regular sockets with my impact
wrench, if I break one, it goes back to Sears (hasn't happened yet).

> 3.If you had the money to buy good tools, what company would you buy
> from?  I myself have been an SK fan, becasue whenever I was young and
> helped my dad work on cars, I would always grab that green medal box,
> and it has just kinda stuck with me ever since.  I know that there are
>
> other good companies as well, Snap-on (considered by many to be the
> best), Mac, etc..  Is there any reason that you would want to buy from
>
> one comapny over another this high up on the ladder?  Are there any
> shortcomings to any of these more expensive brands?

I buy mostly sears, there is a sears about 4 minutes from my house so
it's convenient. The prices are also reasonable. Carrol Smith also
recommends craftsman on a price/performance basis, so if it's good
enough for him....

--
John Steczkowski
PSW Technologies, Inc.