Re: Tool questions

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tool questions
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 07:39:53 -0400
Not to pick on Ron, but I have been following this thread for a couple of days
and am somewhat mystified by one thing: why are you guys fussing about broken
tools? I have been working on cars, trucks, tractors, gardening equipment, and
constructions machinery for 40 of my 55 years, and I only broke one metric
socket
while trying to remove the wheel bolts on an Audi 100 using a breaker bar and 2'
pipe. And I have a mixture of everything from Snap-On down to Harbor Freight
(OK,
I don't try using the $4.95 3/8 ratchet sets, as I imagine they self-destruct
immediately). If you are breaking tools regularly, you are doing something wrong
in your use. As my old shop teacher once told me "use the right tool for the
job".  And someone else mentioned not needing a 1/2" drive set; I mostly use the
1/2" set unless I am doing something where the larger handles get in the way or
am working on a little air-cooled engine or lawn tractor. And don't use impact
sockets with a hand ratchet, nor hand sockets with an air wrench - impact
sockets
will round out much faster than hand sockets when used with a ratchet, and hand
sockets will shatter if used in an impact wrench. And finally, if you are
working
on a car worth $5,000-50,000+, why not spend the few extra dollars and get the
best hand tools? (And also buy a set of very cheap tools to lend out - NEVER
lend
out your good tools to anybody for any reason. If the cheap ones don't get
returned, you won't be missing much, and you don't have to worry about being
asked to lend a second time.)

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ