Re: How to convince my wife I need another car?

To: Ron Madurski <rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com>
Subject: Re: How to convince my wife I need another car?
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 13:24:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Ron Madurski wrote:

> There is a car that I have wanted to buy for a long time.
>
> I found one at a VERY reasonable price.
>
> It's a few states away.
>
> So far my efforts to convince my wife that I need this car are failing.
>
> Please help me convince her that this is a good idea...
> Any and all suggestions/angles/bribes? would be appreciated.

My lady friend is very much opposed to motorcycles.  So when I see one for
sale by the road, I always stop, look it over carefully, note the address
and phone of the owner, etc.  When I get back in the car, I talk about it
seriously, as if I am very tempted to buy it.  My impression is that any
4-wheeled vehicle I buy after that will be a relief to her.  (No, for the
record, my friend does not have veto power over automotive purchases.  For
that, you have to be married.  But it helps harmony if she feels I am
restraining my worst tendencies.) If you already have a motorcycle, this
is not likely to work.  You will have to find some other dangerous
activity (like having a mistress) that you can give up if you buy the new
car.

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629