Re: Electrical ducting

To: Andy Banta <Andy.Banta@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Electrical ducting
From: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:21:41 -0600 (CST)
On Tuesday, 23 Jan 1996, Andy Banta wrote:

> An overused breaker will invariably trip to the fault of caution.

Which is annoying as hell.  My father's cabin had a water heater with
no switch other than the breaker. We turned off the breaker every time we
went home.  After a while, the water heater would kick the breaker at odd
times for no apparent reason.  Waking up on a frosty morning with no hot
water is not what we had in mind when we remodeled the place.  The
electrician my father hired ought to have put a switch on the circuit.

> I don't mean to sound careless to any extent of imagination, but I've
> never been privy to any electrical fires caused by breakers being used
> as switches.

Nor did I suggest that you have.

You say it they "invariably" fail safe.  How do you know?  Because nobody
you know has had a fire?

I do not know whether it is possible for overuse of a breaker to cause
it to stick closed.  I have absolutely no interest in finding out.  I do
know that having them pop open when they ought not can be a definite pain
and is reason enough itself not to abuse them.

> When making recommendations to reasonably educated people about how to
> prepare a workshop, I'd much rather give practical, common sense
> information

So would I.  You've known me long enough to know that.

>than the Chicken Little worst-case-scenario view.

I really don't recall screaming that the sky was falling.

A circuit breaker is not a switch and ought not be used as one.

Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>