Re: Electrical ducting

To: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Subject: Re: Electrical ducting
From: Andy Banta <Andy.Banta@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 23:00:27 -0800
>> you could also use a circuit  breaker as a
>> disconnect, preferably one with the two switches linked.
>
>A circuit breaker is not a switch and ought not be used as one.  Frequent
>use can compromise its ability to do its primary job:  Protecting against
>circuit overload if something goes wrong.

A recommendation that should be heeded as much as anything our
government tells us. :-)

An overused breaker will invariably trip to the fault of caution.
I don't mean to sound careless to any extent of imagination, but I've
never been privy to any electrical fires caused by breakers being used
as switches.  No, it isn't their designed purpose, but the design
required by product liability isn't to be ignored.

When making recommendations to reasonably educated people about how to
prepare a workshop, I'd much rather give practical, common sense
information than the Chicken Little worst-case-scenario view.  That's
just me.

andy
banta@abingdon.sun.com