Re: more garage notes

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: more garage notes
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 19:42:00 +0000
-> My air line revamping includes running a drain from the lowest end
-> through the wall, with heat tape to prevent freezing.

 Today it was 75F, as opposed to snow last Saturday.  I spent all day
cleaning up out in the shop and the shed.  I finally changed the oil in
the compressor.

 Campbell-Hausfeld recommends special Campbell-Hausfeld compressor oil,
one or two other compressor oils, or Mobil 1 synthetic.  When I got the
compressor a couple of years ago I filled it with Mobil 1.  It came out
pretty black and nasty, despite having probably less than ten hours on
the compressor.  Should have changed it long ago, I guess.

 CH uses a 1/4 NPT fill plug and a 1/8 NPT drain, positioned perfectly
to drain oil all down the compressor.  I managed to catch most of it in
a plastic container.  Next week I'll look for a 1/8x1 nipple, an elbow,
and a petcock.  That will space it out enough to drain it into a coffee
can.

 Since I was on a roll I moved some transmissions out of the way and
looked underneath for the drain plug.  Voila!  It has what looks like a
radiator petcock on the bottom.  Unfortunately it's very stiff to move
and wouldn't open all the way.  I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

====dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==