Re: more garage notes

Subject: Re: more garage notes
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 12:26:40 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Dave Williams wrote:

>  I started at knee level and sloped up, using risers to put the outlets
> at 48".  48" seems to be good for electrical outlets too - you want them
> conveniently accessible from a standing position.  You don't want to be
> crawling around on the floor to plug in an air hose.
>
>  My air lines tend to get kicked and tugged.  I'm thinking about
> mounting the actual chucks on short pieces of hose next time.

I'm in the midst of redoing mine that way.  The risers go up to ceiling
level, with hose terminating in quick-connects dropping down to near the
floor.  That way if I need a quick blast of air to dry a small part (or
whatever) I don't need to mess with a coil of hose - just click the air
gun onto the bottom of the "riser" and blast away.

>  When I ran my air lines, I put the low spot just by the door, so I can
> bleed any water when exiting the shop.  I've been planning to put a
> remote drain on the compressor too, but haven't got around to it, for
> the same reason I haven't drained it in probably a year - too much junk
> in the compressor shed.  The thing'll probably rot through if I don't
> drain it Real Soon Now.

My air line revamping includes running a drain from the lowest end through
the wall, with heat tape to prevent freezing.  No more water on the
workshop floor!  My compresser is a large "portable" connected to my air
lines via large-diameter hose, and since I want to keep it portable
running a drain from the tank through the wall isn't so simple.  If I get
really ambitious maybe I'll rig a flexible hose with disconnect to
connect the tank drain to a pipe through the wall.  Hmmmm...

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.