Re: more garage notes

To: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams), shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: more garage notes
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 22:18:44 -0800
At 12:46 PM 1/10/96, Dave Williams wrote:

> If the building is already up and you want to go through the centers of
>the studs, you have only two choices:  PVC and copper.  Unless you can
>cut through the outside of the building to feed pipe through a corner.

Do you mean that 3/4" copper pipe is flexible enough to feed into the
studs, or that it should be cut and spliced? I was planning to notch the
studs and put nail plates over, but using copper would be OK; the diffence
in materials cost is probably less than the rental on the threader and
cutter.

> I started at knee level and sloped up, using risers to put the outlets
>at 48".  48" seems to be good for electrical outlets too - you want them
>conveniently accessible from a standing position.  You don't want to be
>crawling around on the floor to plug in an air hose.

right. I was thinking of your installation when I wrote that. I liked the
idea of having the lines slope *towards* the tank and primary water trap,
so it can get burped automagically.

I *really* like the idea of not needing a drain below every outlet.

>-> I have a double-tub laundry sink in my current garage and it's
>-> wonderful. The new garage has cold water; I'll probably put a sink
>
> Something I've been looking at is one of those apartment-size washing
>machines so I can wash grease rags.  They're a royal PITA to clean.

Yup, a big win. Right now, the washer and dryer are in the garage/shop, so
cleaning the rags is easy. The new house won't be so nice ...

> By the way, a convenient place to put oily rags is in a plastic bucket
>full of soapy water.  I have one by the door.  They won't spontaneously
>combust in water, and the soap helps when you wash them later.

... and the bucket makes it easy to carry the mess into the house to the washer!