garages

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: garages
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 15:30:13 -0500
I am happy to see this new list (Thanks, Mark!) and interested in the
subject of building an additional work area/garage for lbcs etc.  I have no
specific plans for one at this point but sure hope to some time.

This may be more than anyone had in mind, but I will add one thing to the
discussion, regarding pits.  If you are thinking about such an addition to
your shop it sounds like you'll need a host of permits for it.

Your pit design & construction would have to:
---be strong enough not to allow the walls to cave in,
---have some sort of active ventillation system so as not to allow fumes to
"pool" and become a fire/explosion hazzard,
---have adequate lighting, air (preasureized, that is) and electrical for
your work,
---have some sort of drain (for water, not for oil!),
---and probably a few other things I haven't remembered.

I wouldn't be surprised if your local community housing and/or building
codes would apply for such a feature in your new work area.  You might be
wise to check this out if you intend to include a pit in your workshop
plans.  I would guess that a well made pit would still be cheeper than a
hoist system (assuming your ceiling is high enough to even contemplate a
hoist.  I don't know this from experience, just a guess....

fwiw...

Will Zehring