shelves

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: shelves
From: cak@aratar.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 96 13:34:50 PST
I am very hapy with the chrome steel food service rack that I bought.
This is thesame sort that you see in the Griot's garage catalog: I got
mine for about $130 from MSC Industrial Supply (call (800) 645-7270 for
a free catalog) and added my own casters. This was somewhere around 50%
off the price Griot's gets. It's sturdy, looks good, and is easy to
move and keep clean. MSC offers a wider variety of sizes, so I got
exactly what I wanted (in my case, I wanted the top shelf at 5' so it
would fit under a pre-existing hanging object).

For more permanent installation, I've been making my own shelves from
2x4s, 3/4" plywood and 3" grabbers. By notching the uprights to take
the long horizontal cross pieces, they take the load rather than the
fasteners.  I cover the sides and make doors (swinging or sliding,
depending on clearance) out of whiteboard material - for sale at the
home supply for use in shower stalls. This keeps the dust out and gives
me lots of writing surface; the white color reflects light and the
whole thing wipes down easily. And, again, it fits exactly where I need
it. Material cost is higher than the cheapo steel shelves, but the
final result is much nicer. If you need adjustable shelves, there are
lots of cheap hardware styles that will bear loads and fit in this
kind of homebuilt frame.