re: Garages

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Garages
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 1996 20:44:00 +0000
-> Put in windows.  Although it's nice to have lots of shelf storage,
-> sunlight can make it more enjoyable at the workbench.  If possible
-> have the doors in the south side for sunlight.

 Probably good ideas for Massachussetts.  Further south, the problem is
usually to avoid as much heat as possible.  Due to lot shape, my door
faces east, but it will face north on the next shop.

 Besides being dandy solar heat gainers in the summer, windows are also
a security problem.  I made the decision to go windowless and haven't
regretted it.  Even with a six foot wooden fence around the back lot,
someone tried to punch the dead bolt out of my steel door last week.
Didn't make it, but messed up the lock.  The 8x8 fold-up doors are
totally blank on the outside; you have to go in to open them.  And all
three openings are visible from the house.

 Of course, if you don't live in a neighborhood where a drive-by
shooting every week or two is no big deal, security might not be such a
big deal.

-> bugs out.  Mosquitos can find the smallest crack to get to you and
-> you know that buzzing sound when you've got a tool in both hands

 I found much of my mosquito problem was caused by my junk collection,
carefully hidden under tarps.  Ideal for keeping the little puddles
mosquitoes breed in.  Cleaning up and regular hits with insecticide
reduced my mosquito problem from "eaten alive in seconds" to maybe one a
day.  It was a surprise; evidently mosquitoes don't have much range,
since they presumably breed just as fast at the neighbors'.

-> long to warm up and it's dirty.  Look for an old/used hot air oil
-> furnace. In my next project, I will put it in a separate shed
-> alongside the new shop

 Now that sounds like a *good* idea.  Plus it won't be a handy place to
stack inflammables upon.  <grin>

-> tools.  I feed my garage and barns from the house, but I am on the
-> margin for length of #10 gauge wire the distance I am going.

 When I put my shop up I moved the service entrance from the house to
the shop, upgrading from 60 to 250 amps.  I dug a trench to run the wire
to the house.  The electrician recommended something like 6 guage wire,
but I found 2 guage was virtually the same price.  All the money appears
to be in the sheathing.  He approved the substitution, though he cussed
a lot trying to bend 2 guage wire around inside the boxes.  Probably 4
guage would have been better.

-> use plenty of those $10 fluorescent shop lights.

 I went to the 8' flourescents, but they don't last any longer than the
cheap $10 4-footers, cost twice as much, have to be wired in directly,
and are a general pain in the ass.  I will probably bite the bullet and
go to high-efficiency incandescents next time.  Ouch, ouch...

-> Water?  Of marginal utility inside, but it should be handy.

 Great for floors.  Spray and squeegee.  Also keeps the dust down when
painting or doing engine assembly.  It will also let you wash inside,
should you need it.  A couple of weeks ago, I was standing in the snow
scrubbing an engine block prior to assembly.  And it was cold...

-> Music - of course.

 Put the *good* stereo in the shop, where you can listen to it at decent
volume...