Re: [Nobbc] Machine shop

To: North Bay British Car Club <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] Machine shop
From: Greg Tatarian <gtwincams@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:06:11 -0800
On 2/17/2011 8:22 PM, craig murphy wrote:
> I'm having the bore alignment checked because of my swap from stock studs and
> bolts to higher torque ARP hardware.
I second that - seen it firsthand.
>   Jack said it is rare for the mains to
> need line honing unless something catastrophic happened previously.  He said
> rod bores almost always needed touching up after switching to ARP.
Again, I've seen it happen.
> Re: tech session;  I'm no expert rebuilder.  In fact Haynes and an Australian
> service manual get about equal face time to the gearbox and motor.  I guess
> I'm saying that I wouldn't want to teach anyone else how to do what I'm doing
> for the first time on this motor, but if others want to contribute their
> knowledge and experience, it could make for an interesting and fun session.
OK, I understand. I've held tech sessions on various subjects and have
been asked to do one on engine assembly, but though I've built about 12
motors now, I'm not a professional either, and it can be distracting to
have an audience when you're trying to get through a challenging part of
the process. A couple of years ago I set up a web camera so my Dad could
watch me build one of my Lotus twin cam motors and a couple gearboxes,
and he had so many questions I had to cut off the sound while I was
taking measurements. Live audiences don't have mute buttons...;-)

Cheers,
Greg