Re: [Nobbc] Machine shop

To: NOBBC List Server <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] Machine shop
From: craig murphy <cmurphy68@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:22:58 -0800
I'm having the bore alignment checked because of my swap from stock studs and
bolts to higher torque ARP hardware.  Jack said it is rare for the mains to
need line honing unless something catastrophic happened previously.  He said
rod bores almost always needed touching up after switching to ARP.
I had no problems driving with my 3 synchro box over the last 8 years and was
completely used to it.  I think having 4 synchro will be nice, especially
being able to use first gear when slowing down without rev-matching, or
hearing my wife grind into first the few times she drives the car and forgets
about using second gear to slow down first gear.  I've kept the 3 synchro box,
so if I come across a first and reverse gear (and some of the other worn
parts), I'll collect them over time and perhaps rebuild the box to have as a
spare.  -this is what everyone says I'm sure, but it probably rarely happens
in real life.
The 4 synch box was $600 and I've spent another $500 on gears and rebuild
parts.  It was another case of probably didn't need a full rebuild, but I
didn't know the history so I did it.  A lot of the parts I'm replacing look
like they are in very good shape (bearings, baulk rings, forks, etc) but I'd
hate to have to tear it down again in a year because something decided to go
out.
Re: tech session;  I'm no expert rebuilder.  In fact Haynes and an Australian
service manual get about equal face time to the gearbox and motor.  I guess
I'm saying that I wouldn't want to teach anyone else how to do what I'm doing
for the first time on this motor, but if others want to contribute their
knowledge and experience, it could make for an interesting and fun session.
Cheers,
Craig