mini-baja

Re: Legal helmets?

To: <mini-baja@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Legal helmets?
From: "Mark Hagedorn" <mark_hagedorn@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:54:24 -0800
    The reality of the rules is that the helmet has to meet the requirements
of the Tech. inspectors at whatever race you are going to.  This usually
means it has to be a full face helmet, either motocross or street bike
style.  The West last year required a tear off system no matter which kind
of helmet you had.  There was alot of talk between the organizers last year
and Steve Daum concerning the Snell standard being raised to 2005 this year.
I have only skimmed the 2005 rules as of yet so I am not sure as to whether
or not this actually went into effect.  I know our guys will be going to the
races with brand new helmets as to avoid what happened last year to us (half
of our helmets getting impounded, including my one year old Simpson Super
Bandit).

Mark Hagedorn
Western Washington University
Vehicle Research Institute