mini-baja

Re: Legal helmets?

To: <mini-baja@Autox.Team.Net>, <BMmonteSS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Legal helmets?
From: "Eric Hutchenreuther" <emhutchenreuther@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:04:08 -0500
I ran into this last year. If you research Snell 2000 a little more you will
find that by full face they mean a chin bar integrated with the structure of
the helmet. So a motocross style helmet can meet this rating. Full face
helmets are designed to protect during a face first landing onto concrete at
high speed, and against whiplash as the chin bar contacts the chest. By the
same definition an open face helmet could still have the full visor, but no
chin guard.  Lesser rated helmets may still have a bar in front for
protection against mud and stones, but the bar will not be as strong.

In another spot in the rules (at least last year's rules) the term "full
face" is misused to identify a helmet with visor (as an alternative to
goggles). That is an oversight on the part of the rules committee.

During my 4 years involved in mini Baja I have heard the same questions
repeated over and over, it would be beneficial if we could start using the
Baja forum so that replies are available for future reference by others.
Just my $0.02

Eric Hutchenreuther
Kettering, Flint MI