mini-baja

FW: Legal helmets?

To: <mini-baja@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FW: Legal helmets?
From: "James and Bridgette Perrin" <jmperrin@twmi.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:14:56 -0500
You can get cheap helmets that meet the rules.  This particular place has
them for $60.00, but remember, you are protecting your brain, and you get
what you pay for.  The Snell rating should ensure that you are getting
something of decent quality and not just a DOT approved plastic pail.

http://www.extremesupply.com/bell/bellmcyc/mot6sc.htm

Here is some information about the different Snell ratings.
http://www.smf.org/faqs.html
SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets
may not be street legal);
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
The K standards are very similar to the SA standards, however the K
standards omit the requirements for flame retardency.

James