Re: Now Spark Plugs

To: Glenn <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Now Spark Plugs
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 19:30:29 -0500
Cc: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Glenn wrote:
I checked out the plugs again tonight, and there is
definitely no center electrode protruding above the
ceramic nose.  After checking out the Bosch site, it's
very hard to tell from the Platinum Plug picture how
much / if any of the electrode should protrude above
the ceramic.
the electrode of a platinum plug does not stick out.

I know I gapped these before I put them in, but can't
remember what I gapped them to (I suspect whatever is
in my workshop manual). As pulled from the car, they
are about .033-.035".
That sounds about right for the B series engine. I don't
know about V8s.

Any suggestions on a "cooler" plug for a 3.9?  How
about gap?

Thanks!

Glenn

--- Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

I use Bosch plugs (although W8BC or NGK BP5HS) in my
factory V8 but those
pictures look very odd to me.  The gap looks huge,
and I can't see any
centre electrode, it's as if it has burnt right away
down to the tip of the
ceramic nose.  Colour looks about normal in the
non-flash pic, far too white
in the flash pic which would normally mean very weak
but as there is no
crusty build-up I'm assuming it has just 'whited
out' with the flash.  They
look very long-nose i.e. a hot plug, which could
explain both the white
centre ceramic and no tip i.e. they have burnt away.

Tail-pipes, if that is what you mean, are normally
black these days with
unleaded.

PaulH.