GM starter

To: "MG V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: GM starter
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:22:54 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
It's time to consider starters.  My Buick 215 came with the larger GM
starter (4.5" dia) with the cast iron nose.  As I understand it there are
about 3, maybe more, options for the Buick.

1) use the one that came with my car (I can get a rebuilt one for $84).

2) source out the smaller GM starter (4.0" dia) and an aluminum nose

3) buy any one of several gear reduction starters (Tilton, Schumacher,
LaGrou, Towery, etc.)

The one I have seems to fit fine, close but OK.  It would need to be
rebuilt.  I have heard heat might be an issue.

I guess I am soliciting input from all takers.  Any
suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Larry Hoy
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"