Re: GM starter

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GM starter
From: Rick Huber <rickhuber1@home.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 06:18:51 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Larry,

When I did my conversion, I began with a GM starter.  Like an idiot,  I
skipped the rebuilding step before installing it, and the solenoid failed
before I even got the car started.  When I tried to remove the starter from
the installed engine, I didn't have enough room to drop it out, and I ended
up dismantling it in place and removing it piece by piece.  Not a fun job at
all.  I've got the non-A/C Glen Towery motor mounts, and I'm sure there must
have been an easier way to have gotten it out, I just didn't figure it out.

Armed with that experience, I bit the bullet and bought a gear reduction
starter from TS and have been very happy with it's installation and
performance.  I must have gotten one that didn't need the shims / spacers
because I didn't know it was needed and mine has worked fine.

I'm using a Rover 3.5 engine with the block hugger headers.  I have a small
aluminum shield that bolts on to the motor mount and protects the front of
the starter from downpipe heat.

Cheers,

Rick