Re: GM starter

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: GM starter
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 01:31:48 -0400
Cc: MG V8 List <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Larry-

I now have a combination of V8 MG car miles totaling over 400,000, all with
Vega starters & D & D's aluminum nose. Half the miles were with a Buick/Olds
combo, 10.75 to 1 compression. Used it in the Rover 4.2 with a strip of
aluminum for a spacer. Average starter life over 100,000 miles. Just bought a
new one (rebuilt) for the project car, $69.00 with a lifetime warranty from
NAPA. It came with a heavy duty solenoid- very important- as the standard
solenoid may fail temporarily due to heat soak. If using block hugger
headers, a simple heat shield is recommended. You will need the rotated
aluminum starter nose from D & D.

At least one of the gear reduction starters being sold has the wrong pinion
spacing. If you buy one, be sure you have a clear agreement with the seller
that if the engagement is incorrect, you will get a full refund. Then find
another source. Having to shim a new starter that is supposed to fit is total
B.S.

Maybe you need the gear reduction unit with a 4.6 or larger engine, but I
doubt it. If you are in proper tune, you should start in a few seconds of
starter operation.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Jim Stuart