Re: Steering on CBB

To: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>
Subject: Re: Steering on CBB
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:04:33 -0400
Cc: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>, "'mgb-v8@autox.team.net'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
James-

As the engine is out of my project car at present, I checked some photos taken
during the trial fit up, & I really don't see the problem. If the engine sits
level,
the exhaust port is above the u-joint, & slightly forward of it, even with my
extreme set back. Go to my web page,   mgbv8.com    click on project car, click
on
the thumbnail picture top row, 2nd right column.

I think your problem may be engine placement. It is very difficult to get it
just
right, & you are doing it the hard way, starting from scratch, using the Buick
mounts & fabing brackets. Don't take that as criticism, the rubber mounts most
of us
use are far from ideal. The only other person I know of that has taken your
approach
is Kurt Schley, who is (has?) made mounts connected to the front cross member.
If
you are successful, you will not have a driver side mount that is very
difficult to
install. I suggest you put a level on the intake manifold where the carb will
sit.
This assumes that you have the body level, as determined by opening the doors &
leveling at the door sills. The carb mounting surface should be level front to
back,
as well as left to right. That being the case, the engine itself will have
about a
5` tilt down at the rear. You can't stray very much from this or you will
develop a
bad angle at the drive shaft. Since you have your rear transmission  mount on
the B
cross member, your engine height is now pretty well established, as is the
setback.
Back to my web page, 1st row of pictures, 3rd down, you will see my trans
mounted to
the stock cross member in the original location. The pad sits inside the cross
member, the ears are cut away from the cross member, & what was originally a
drain
hole enlarged, & in my case, slotted, to move the engine farther to the rear.

See if this helps at all, let me know how you are doing.

Jim Stuart