Re: Steering on CBB

To: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Steering on CBB
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 20:18:01 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>, "'James Nazarian Jr'" <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>, "'mgb-v8@autox.team.net'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
what I have is a 63 Buick 215 with original T-10.  The Trans is mounted to
the stock B crossmember in its original position.  The front mounts are
buick rubbers, and I have yet to mount them to the body, but this will be
done by fabricating brackets.  This placement puts the rearmost exhaust
port directly in line with the placement of the ujoint from the 71BGT that
the engine is in.  It looks as if a RBB ujoint would work if the primary
tubes were angled up 15 or 20 degrees.  This is the best placement I can
offer at this point.  Final engine placement is somewhat dependant on this
problem.  Also, the oilpan as you may know is very close to the block
except for a square section in the middle of the pan that sticks down six
or so inches.  This section is located an inch or less behind the front
suspension crossmember and the top part of the pan clears the top of the
crosmember by the same ammount.  I hope this can help.  Thanks everyone
for the input.  Also it would seem to me that a ujoint at the rack would
not aleviate this problem since the steering column is not moving and this
is the end that I have interference problems with.  TIA everyone

James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'71 BGT rust free and burnt orange
'63 Buick 215