Re: [Mg-t] 54 TF engine timing

To: "spook01" <spook01@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] 54 TF engine timing
From: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 13:00:35 -0700
He is partially correct. The TF 1500 came with a distributor with a
12.5 degree advance
plate, giving a maximum of 25 degrees advance at the crankshaft. With
the larger displacement
engine, they were afraid that the extra advance from an earlier
distributor would blow head
gaskets, or cause detonation. The TC-TD distributor came with a 15
degree advance plate, giving 30 degrees of advance, measured at the
crankshaft.

The static timing or timing light system works, depends on which you
are comfortable
with. If you set a TF to 35 degrees at 3000 rpm, you are running at 10
degrees more
advance than static timing would produce.

The factory had an optional 17 degree advance plate available for
distributors. The notice
was sent out during TD production. It will fit all distributors, but
not recommended for a
TF 1500 engine. The MGA 1500 had a 12 degree advance plate.

John Seim
Irvine, CA