Re: Water Pump Problems on the TD

To: wtsnyder@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: Water Pump Problems on the TD
From: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 07:49:30 -0700
I don't know what to say about the rear end noise.
As to the water pump. Some reproduction pump bodies were made with the
bottom edge a little too wide. They would bind on the engine bearer
plate, when installed. If that is the case, then the lower edge can be
ground to fit to clear the engine bearer plate.
Generally, when the pump gland seal wears out, the leak is from the
pump, near the engine. Don't know what to say about coming from behind
the pulley, unless seal to housing clearance is poor. I would recommend
sending it to Phil Marino, along with your pulley. Phil makes a tapered
shaft, and cuts a taper into the pulley. Much more secure mounting of
pulley to shaft. Eliminates potential of pulley wobble on shaft. He
installs sealed bearings, so no need to grease this item again. Phil is
recovering from rotator cuff surgery, so might be a month before he can
get to it. If enough need to be done, he will enlist my aid, and we will
do a production run.
The fan belt only needs to drive the water pump and generator. It should
not be tightened to where you can bounce a coin off of it. 1" of play,
or fairly tight, but able to spin the fan by hand, and not turn the
engine, is correct tension.

Phil Marino
16199 Hidden Cove Dr.
Riverside, CA 92503-0521