Water Pump Problems

To: "MG T List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water Pump Problems
From: <wtsnyder@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 18:41:02 -0400
Thanks to all who threw in their 2 cents worth regarding my leaky water
pump during the maiden voyage in my '53 TD. The voyage amounted to a
total of about 50 feet! At least I've owned LBC's long enough not to get
too bothered or discouraged.

I removed the water pump today and found something I don't understand.
On the bottom of the casting, behind (posterior to) where the engine
stabilizer bracket attaches, there is about a 0.5cm hole in the casting
itself. It is shaped like an elongated crater, narrowest at the bottom,
wider at the rim. I cannot see an way that the engine control link
bracket could have worn such a hole. All I can assume is that some
engine grime survived my cleaning and painting job, and that sufficient
hot water pressure blew out a clot of solidified grease or a chunk of
metal resulting in the large leak.

The impeller seems fine and the shaft is not excessively wobbly,but the
hole must be close to the rear seal if not over it, allowing water to
exit. I hope that the part is still rebuildable. Someone wrote that Paul
Marino in California is recovering from rotator cuff surgery. Whoever
wrote me with that info, I somehow deleted your email and would
appreciate hearing from you again regarding what you think Paul's
turnaround time would be given his current condition.

Has anyone used Joe Curto in NY? His name was mentioned, but without
comment about his work or prices.

I would certainly like to get it out to someone ASAP so I don't lost too
much of the summer in the new TD.

Bill Snyder
Waynesville, NC