Water Pump Problems on the TD

To: "MG T List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water Pump Problems on the TD
From: <wtsnyder@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 16:05:39 -0400
Happy Memorial Day Weekend to the List.

Well, today was the day I was to finally get the '53 TD out of the
garage and at least around the block. It was brought home in boxes in
January of 2005 and finally looks like a complete car. I checked the
oil, tested the brakes, topped off the radiator with low-tox coolant,
connected the battery, lifted her off the wheels dollies she was built
on and set her on the ground for the first time.

I pulled out the choke, turned the key and pulled the starter. She
cranked after about 8 seconds. After easing off on the choke, I put her
in reverse and slowly eased her out of the garage door. Once out, I put
her in first gear and pulled forward a bit. At that time two things
happened. First, I saw that I had left a large trail of liquid from the
garage. Second, there was a moderate wrenching noise as I let out the
clutch and engaged first gear. It only sounded for a fraction of a
second and sounded like it was coming from the differential area. I
immediately shut off the engine, got out, and popped the bonnet to
inspect. Green water was pouring from the water pump area just behind
the water pump pulley. After putting a catch basin underneath, I grabbed
the grease gun and pumped the fitting full on the water pump, whereupon
the leaking stopped.I topped off the radiator again and cranked the car.
There was no more leakage for approximately 60 seconds, then another
torrent of water, this time apparently from the underneath rear of the
pump. Water was coming out the left side bottom of the pump.

I had run the engine several times out of gear in the garage with no
leakage before, admittedly with less volume of water in the radiator.

Am I in need of a new pump and/or gasket? Do you recommend rebuilt or
new. If rebuilt, from whom?

Can someone expound on greasing the water pump fitting including
frequency, necessity, amount to use, etc?

Any ideas on the rear end noises?

Thanks to all and a great holiday as we remember our fallen.

Bill Snyder
'53 TD anxious to get out on the road
Waynesville, NC